One of the ways we come together as a community is by organizing efforts that celebrate our school while raising funds to keep it strong.
Family donations help cover instructional support in lower grade classrooms, supplement arts programming, provide student trip scholarships, underwrite professional development for teachers, pay for a variety of classroom supplies and equipment, including inclusion learning tools to support students with diverse learning styles, and much more.
We know that every family has financial considerations unique to their household. As much as the school needs financial support, it also couldn’t thrive without your presence and the generous giving of your time and creativity. For that reason, we welcome everyone’s decision to participate in whatever way makes sense for them.
Here are a few ideas of ways to support our community giving:
1. Participate in Arts & Letters 305 United events that help build community and raise funds at the same time. Support PTA bake sales by baking, buying and/or volunteering. Help fund extracurricular programs by purchasing raffle tickets and “swag” sold by the Athletic and chess teams. Attend school dances, Art Expos and other school community events. Take part in our growing list of annual traditions such as the Marathon Bake Sale, Thanksgiving Potluck, Holiday Gift Giving, Read-a-Thon, Spring Gala, Spring Block Party and Rummage Sale and End-of-Year Cyclones game.
2. Collect BoxTops. You can cut out the BoxTops for Education logos from the packaging of many grocery and household items, then drop them off in the main office. We earn 10 cents for every BoxTop logo we submit. This is free money for our school!
3. Become a monthly donor by signing up at tinyurl.com/yycmeqol . If each A&L 305 United family gave $5 per month, that would add up to more than $25,000 per year so we’re not kidding when we say that every single dollar counts!
4. Participate in our twice-yearly giving campaign, We ❤️ United, in which we encourage donations from our extended community and seek matching grants from corporations. You can use the same link as above (there are options for a one-time or recurring donation) or contribute by check or money order made out to “Arts & Letters 305 United PTA” and delivered to the PTA mailbox or mailed to: Arts & Letters 305 United, PTA Mailbox, 344 Monroe St, Brooklyn, NY 11216
5. Inquire if your workplace has a matching donation program. Then reach out to the PTA to help ensure the match gets processed.
6. Create your own mini-fundraiser. You can host a sidewalk sale and donate the proceeds to the campaign. Or grow a moustache or beard and collect pledges from friends, family and coworkers for every week you keep it going or have them pledge $5 or $10 to “vote” on whether you keep or shave it off. We are open to all creative ideas!
7. Use your purchasing power to help fund our school. If you shop on Amazon, be sure to bookmark the following website: rebrand.ly/aandlamazon or save it as a shortcut on your phone. Every time you use that link to make an Amazon purchase, United will earn a percentage of the sale (up to 15%) without it costing you a penny!
The Amazon Smile program is another option. Although it earns us only 0.5% on eligible purchases, it can be easier for people (including extended family members) to remember. Simply tell them to go to smile.amazon.com, choose Arts & Letters Parents Association as the organization to receive their donations and then use that same same website for future purchases.
Important caveat: Amazon credits A&L 305 United only for purchases made via one of the links above AND completed online in a web browser. Using the “Amazon Shopping” app on your phone will NOT bring in donations. Go ahead and take this opportunity to clean up your phone screen by deleting the Amazon Shopping app!
8. Advocate for more budgetary resources for all NYC public schools by supporting Alliance for Educational Equity at www.aqeny.org.
9. Are you interested in underwriting a specific initiative or program with a major gift? Contact the PTA Presidents and the executive board, email@example.com.
However you choose to participate, we thank you!